I love, love, LOVE a thick, creamy potato soup! Every recipe I've ever tried, though, has always been too thin or too bland. I finally came up with the perfect (for me) recipe and thought I'd share. Pair this with a big chunk of crusty bread and enjoy!
Loaded Potato Soup (serves 8-10)
5 lbs. red potatoes, unpeeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
6 cups half and half
16 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
cheddar cheese, shredded
swiss cheese, shredded
- Boil diced potatoes until nearly cooked all the way through.
- In a large pot, melt butter and add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Over medium-low to medium heat, add half and half.
- Stir until it begins to thicken.
- Add Velveeta and stir until melted.
- Drain potatoes and add to Velveeta and cream mixture.
- Add garlic and tabasco to preferred taste.
- Cover and cook on low for about 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheeses, bacon crumbles and chives.